Research Administration - The Practical Side of Leadership
Night before Day 1: Evening Welcome Reception 5:45pm-6:30pm
Day 1: 8:30 am -4:30 pm Workshop, Evening Reception 5:00pm-5:45pm
Day 2: 8:30 am -4:30 pm Workshop
For many involved in sponsored programs administration, moving into a leadership position is a goal. While a wealth of information is available on leadership, this workshop is focused on the practical aspects of leadership in the research administration profession. The workshop will be valuable for managing your career path to reach your goal, for enhancing your existing leadership skills, or for building strengths as a senior research administrator.
Each workshop is led by nationally recognized and experienced research administrators who are in leadership positions, the workshop will focus on the practicalities and techniques necessary to direct sponsored program areas and to provide a common direction among stakeholders. This workshop will assist participants in understanding the skill sets that will help to direct an office of research administration, allow you to take on an expanded leadership role, or to advance to a position as a senior staff member. The workshop will be in a discussion format and participant interaction will be paramount.
Topics of Study as related to Research Administration:
1. Leadership and Management
2. Education and Communication
3. Goal and Priority Setting
Target Audience: Individuals who have at least 5 years’ experience in a management position.
Understanding the skill sets that will help to direct an office of research administration
Identify various Leadership styles, and adapting the style to each situation
Knowledge in order to take on a leadership role, or advance to a position as a senior staff member
Gain leadership experience and perspective from colleagues in your field sharing their experiences through case studies.
Senior Workshop Faculty
- Gunta Liders- Associate VP for Research, University of Rochester
- Jane Youngers - Emeritus Assistant VP for Research, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio
- Kim Moreland - Associate Vice Chancellor for Research and Sponsored Programs, University of Wisconsin- Madison
- Kerry Peluso - Associate Vice President for Research, Emory University
- Joseph M Gindhart - Associate Vice Chancellor for Finance and Sponsored Projects, Washington University in St Louis
- Pamela A Webb - Associate Vice President for Research, University of Minnesota